Friday, March 7, 2014

"When Water Comes to Life"


I was sleeping in the lilies
Or was I up all night?
These days it's hard to tell what's half asleep from fully alive

Cloud Cult is an "experimental indie rock band" originally from Minneapolis. Last weekend I got the chance to see them at Turner Hall in Milwaukee. I've been a fan of Cloud Cult for years and this was the first time I got to see them live. Check out their website by clicking here.

This show was pretty different from anything I've been to. Walking into the historic Turner Hall building I first noticed the mellowness of the crowd. One of my favorite things about going to shows is watching the people there- what do they seem like? And how does that correlate to the band or musician that's playing? I also noticed how relaxed everyone seemed, the vibe was really chill. I saw hipsters, hippies, families, John and Jane Does, old, young... A pretty good mix of a crowd.

Cloud Cult is a much better band live than they are on a disc from a studio. There's something I think they can't quite capture without a live presence. I was very aware of this at the concert and it made me think about recording our album this coming April and how we're going to try to capture a sound that has morphed into a very improvisational and flowing thing...

Anyway,

Picture this:
No opening band.
Cloud Cult walks on stage humbly and sits down on chairs. Guitar, cello, horns, keyboard... two canvases in the back which artists paint on throughout the show. Gentle, beautiful melodies.. four part harmonies... incredible dynamics. Intimate strings.
And the second set? Members exchange instruments. Electric guitar, electric bass, drums! Beautiful backdrop. Effects on vocals. Massive energy exchange.

I was also very happy to share the experience with Dan. It's not very often that we get to go see shows since we are usually playing, but it's so important for us to experience from the other side.


"A singer cannot delight you with his singing unless he himself delights to sing."
-Kahlil Gibran


Thanks for reading.. stay tuned for a post about what we're up to this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment