Sunday, November 30, 2014

White Winter Wisconsin

A resounding theme in my life- PERSPECTIVE.

This tends to come up more this time of year- how my perspective can completely shift my reality.

On Friday afternoon we found ourselves in a beautiful living room full of beautiful people- gathering for friends, family, music and food. High ceilings and organic sound. Many of these faces were familiar- some were new. The humbling experience of being brought into someone's home, into their family for the afternoon- it's one of the most rewarding things I get to be a part of.

And I just kept thinking, "Man, we're so lucky!"

This is the time of year we start really preparing ourselves for the coming winter months. Winter for me now means perfecting the art of dressing in layers so that I can be comfortable outside, in the van, in a stuffy bar, and playing music in a stuffy bar. This last weekend I found myself exchanging my wool socks for some cotton ones on stage right before our shows.

Yesterday we drove from Wausau to Madison. White Wisconsin winter, rural and flat and the orange sky during dusk which goes so quickly during the winter... we were driving right into it and if I can't be present in that moment I'm not so sure I'm alive anymore.

And a lot of things on the horizon we are looking forward to this winter! A new Daytrotter Session, a new music video, releasing our album again on a different format, playing with talented musicians, making new friends, seeing the countryside, seeing some cities, seeing new art, new energy (never really new,)  and swimming, swimming, swimming.


















2 comments:

  1. Reading your blog is a fine way to start this cold December morning. We have plenty of things to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do have many things for which to thank God. But going beyond the usual, I'd like to highlight the photo you posted here. One might call it perspective, but the term for the photographer is "depth of field." The photographer utilized the interplay between f-stop and shutter speed and got the exposure spot on so that the band just jumps out from the background, especially Pete. It's subtle and spectacular at the same time. Thank you for posting it.

    ReplyDelete